80% of our success comes from knowing our people and the rest 20% from the product. For success to be a part of an organisation’s DNA, it is important for leaders to get the best out of their teams.” – Syt. H. M. Bangur
Tue Jul 20, 2021
“80% of our success comes from knowing our people and the rest 20% from the product. For success to be a part of an organisation’s DNA, it is important for leaders to get the best out of their teams.” - Syt. H. M. Bangur
What differentiates leaders who multiply intelligence among their team, build a consistent leadership pipeline, create a culture of honesty, transparency and collaboration and foster an environment where everyone achieves their highest potential?
What do these leaders do differently and how do we adapt that as a standard. These leaders manager five areas—talent, culture, strategy, decision making, and execution—much differently:
1. Managing talent: They look for talent everywhere irrespective of the boundaries of hierarchy and function. They take the time to understand the capabilities of each individual so that they can connect employees with the right people and the right opportunities, thereby building a virtuous cycle of attraction, growth, and opportunity.
2. Fostering a productive environment: They explicitly give people permission to think, speak, and act with reason. They generate an intensity that demands high-level work from the team, but they also have a high tolerance for mistakes and understand the importance of learning along the way. So they create safe mental spaces devoid of politics where people can flourish.
3. Setting direction: They push employees to look beyond what they already know. The greatest ideas are born out of necessity and change. They ask hard questions that create a natural tension that impels people to find the answers. As team members earn small wins, their confidence grows and seemingly insurmountable problems appear less daunting.
4. Making decisions: They engage people in rigorous, upfront discussions about the issues at hand. They give people a chance to weigh in and consider different possibilities—ultimately strengthening team members’ understanding of the issue and increasing the likelihood that they’ll be ready to carry out whatever actions are required.
5. Executing: They enable team members to operate independently by letting them own their results and rewarding employees’ successes. These leaders put a high premium on self-sufficiency: Once they delegate a task or decision, they don’t try to take it back.
So how does one be that way if it isn’t come naturally?
1. Share your thoughts in small but intense doses. Make space for others to contribute—and your words become that much more influential.
2. Ask questions: Stop worrying about having all the answers. Use your knowledge of the business to ask insightful questions that prompt the members of your team to stop, think, and then rethink.
People are the building blocks of organisations and the best leaders are those who can bring the best in their teams. We have built a course covering all the basics to become the best People Manager one can be. It has been facilitated by Mr. Ankur Warikoo, who is an entrepreneur, teacher and one of the most sought after mentors and speakers. The course has 15 min modules along with recorded videos of his live sessions. You could access the People Managers’ Course here.
Here’s to building an organisation where people achieve their maximum potential!
enroute to an exciting journey of building a learning organisation.